Home > Tax Courses at UCT > Postgraduate Courses > Faculty of Commerce > Masters in Taxation specialising in South African Tax

Masters in Taxation specialising in South African Tax

About the programme

Who is in charge?
The Master of Commerce in Taxation programmes are convened by Professor Jennifer Roeleveld.

Do I qualify?
Applicants to the programme must meet the basic entrance requirements‚ being a Honours degree in Taxation or CA(SA) or LLB. In addition‚professional and/or academic references‚ an entrance exam or an interview maybe required. All candidates are required to submit their curriculum vitae and academic transcript on application. Candidates without the basic requirements‚but with relevant and sufficient workplace experience may apply to the programme but will be required to submit a portfolio of evidence of their experience and undergo a "recognition of prior learning" (RPL) evaluation. 

How much will it cost?
The provisional course fees are listed on the individual course sites (see links below)‚ but the information may also be found in the Fee Handbook available at:

How do I apply?
Click here to be directed straight to the UCT Online Application page.

By when must I apply?
Closing dates appear on the UCT Online Application page and are generally 31 October of the year preceding the start of the programme. FOR 2016 APPLICATIONS, THE CLOSING DATE IS THE END OF NOVEMBER.

Programme start date and overall duration
The course begins in the last week of January and the lectures conclude mid- November. The lectures will be held every second to third Saturday. 

What will I do on the programme?
The first year is common and includes an intensive course covering South African tax cases as well as a research methods course. In the second year‚ you have to complete a 90–credit minor dissertation (max of 25‚000 words).

What courses will I do on each stream?

Year 1

FTX5030W & FTX4036S 

Year 2


How am I assessed?
You must get a weighted average of 50% in FTX5030W and a simple average of 50% in the remaining courses. Note that FTX4036S does not carry a mark and is simply a pass/fail grade.

What happens if I fail a course?
Courses may not be repeated. No supplementary examinations are permitted. For the research component FTX5031W‚ you need to make satisfactory progress each year for which you are registered in accordance with a Memorandum of Understanding signed with your research supervisor.

Can I get a distinction?
The degree will be awarded with distinction if you obtain an overall average mark of at least 75% or higher‚ and if you obtain not less than 70% in the coursework component(s) and in the dissertation component of the degree.